Monday, October 18, 2010

Horrible Parents - The Booger Hookah


crosspost from The Soy Bean
written by Casey
I’m of two minds at the moment.  When I first conceived this post a week or so ago it was intended to be light-hearted.  Now that I have finally taken, uploaded, and viewed the pictures, I feel slightly horrible about what my wife (I’m just the photographer) has been putting our son through.
Ray has had a perpetual hacking cough/endlessly snot-oozing nose since about a week after he started going to daycare.  He doesn’t seem put out in the least about coughing hysterically and spontaneously ejecting copious amounts of snot from both nostrils.  I suppose anticipating this turn of events months ago, my wife was moved to make a preemptive purchase.
Despite decades of simple yet effective use provided by the squeezable booger bulb that everyone, whether you have a child or not, can easily identify, someone in Japan thought they could improve upon the idea by making a booger removal system more complicated, more difficult to use, and most of all far more traumatic for the child. At least it’s cute.  I give you the booger hookah:
IMG_0556

Step 1: Pin down child’s arms with adult legs. Step 2: Place blunt-ended tube in mommy’s mouth. Step 3: Insert pointy end in baby’s nostril. Step 4: Suck, using opposite nostril as a snot carb.
IMG_0546
IMG_0551
Result: Horribly upset child, crushing your tiny little head.
IMG_0554
The irony is that Ray plays with this terrible little object whenever he can. He loves chewing on the booger chamber, or swinging the whole unit around by the hookah tubes. But when the time comes to harvest the snot, bad times. Rarely have I heard the boy howl like he does when he’s pinned down and mid-snot removal. He generally comes around pretty quickly though; rapid administration of breast to mouth speeds improves recovery time.
I think we might adopt a less intrusive method of coaxing mucous out of Ray though.  Perhaps a feather to the nostril might do the trick.

2 comments:

  1. Mate, I feel for you and your son. My wife insisted on getting one of these snot vacuum cleaners too, mainly because our son has asthma. His nose resembles, at times, an alien cocoon and snot is on most people he hugs too.
    He absolutely hates the little sucker thingy and has as a result started to wipe his nose in his sleeve - I probably did the same when I was his age.
    I can't myself to use it on him, so my wife is not impressed. Well, at least I clean the collection chamber afterwards, which is a weird experience in itself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have similar issues in our house. I think it's more traumatic for my kids just to be held down. I know they hate having that rubber ball thing put in their nose, but they really hate being held down. My little girl developed an infection in her recently pierced ears, and it took over an hour to get them out just because she wouldn't let us touch them. Once I pinned her down, the wife got them right out. I think it's the restraining part that bothers kids the most.

    ReplyDelete